Alternative Service Experience (ASE) programs offer students the opportunity to learn, explore, and serve alongside communities across the nation during university breaks. The Alternative Service Experience focuses on exploring social issues in close collaboration with community partners through unique experiential learning opportunities. Participants will learn about the mission, guiding values, and client base of community partners including the historical, cultural, and social contexts the community and organization reside in. ASEs offer the opportunity for meaningful dialogue, service together, intentional engagement, and critical reflection of our experiences and the world around us.
Participants should be prepared to engage in self reflection, team building, group dialogue, and service work. Participants should expect to be challenged on various levels including (but not limited to): meeting new people, trying new things, and considering new perspectives.
2019 Fall Break Programs
- Open Hand: Atlanta, GA
- Peer Leaders: Sarah Chao & Clara Strehl-Wenerick
- The Elephant Sanctuary: Hohenwald, TN
- Peer Leaders: Elina Morrison & Dylan Thoren
For more info on ASE or other Key Center programs, contact us at email@example.com or visit the Key Center (211 Highsmith Union)!
Fast facts about Fall Break ASE:
- All programs cost ($180), $100 nonrefundable deposit due at sign up
- Transportation, meals, lodging included
- Each program has 2 trained student peer leaders and 1 staff/faculty Learning Partner on program
Learn more at our ASE Info Sessions:
- Tuesday September 10th, 12:30pm in Nantahala Room (128 Highsmith)
- Thursday September 12th, 7pm in Nantahala Room (128 Highsmith)
Sign up for an ASE Fall Break program:
- Tuesday September 17th, 6:30pm in the Key Center (211 Highsmith)