Faculty can request a Student Reflection Leader (SRL) through the Key Center to assist in the facilitation of the reflective portion of a service-learning designated course as well as Key Connect, our online service learning database. SRLs are trained and paid by the Key Center but nominated by the faculty member.
Names of SRL students submitted to Anja Mayr at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 22nd
Applications are due by April 25th - Find the application here (Full pdf description of the position)
SRL - Faculty agreements due Friday, September 9th
Training for Spring SRLs is May 6th at 2pm
Student Reflection Leader (SRL) Qualifications:
• Interest in service-learning and civic engagement
• Interest in developing strategies to enhance learning through reflection
• Successful completion of a service-learning class (preferred)
• Minimum GPA of 3.0
• Willingness and ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and community partners
• Enthusiasm for UNCA and our university’s vision of learning, discovery, and service
SRL Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend and participate in SRL Orientation Meeting (date will be e-mailed upon acceptance)
• Attend and participate in three (3) monthly training sessions and one de-briefing session(4 total)
• Provide copy of Instructor/SRL agreement to Key Center
• Facilitate end of semester service-learning student course surveys for Key Center
• Participate in an evaluation of the SRL program
• Attend class meetings and service events
• Guide critical reflection activities that enhance students’ curricular learning through service
• Support students in their service to community partners
• Maintaining Key Connect course site
• Details should be outlined in the Instructor/SRL Agreement.
- SRLs are expected to work an average of 2-3 hours a week, not to exceed 40 hours total
$400 stipend payable to the SRL at the end of the semester upon completion of duties and responsibilities. (Student should contact the Key Center prior to starting their position to confirm how among various options if the stipend might be distributed. We work hard to assure there are no conflicts with student financial aid and other issues.)
Benefits to Student Reflection Leaders:
This program provides students with the opportunity to develop their competency as leaders and educators among their peers through academic service-learning. Through the workshops provided by the Key Center, students will:
learn how to facilitate written and oral
• gain leadership skills, particularly in working with peers and collaborating with faculty and community members
• talk with fellow SRLs about experiences and challenges
• have the opportunity to work closely with a faculty member to develop learning activities
• explore personal and professional interests in teaching, leadership, service-learning and community engagement!
Responsibilities of Instructor
Student Reflection Leaders are expected to work with the course instructor to plan and facilitate reflection, thereby providing them access to faculty mentorship and knowledge about how course plans are constructed. Instructor should meet with students to discuss, agree upon,and complete Instructor/SRL agreement.
The faculty member is expected to work with the SRL to establish times and
responsibility for leading critical reflection as part of the regular course work. These should be
outlined in the Instructor/SRL Agreement.
The faculty member is expected to integrate the SRL as a peer leader into the course before, during and after students' engagement in service. This includes explicit support of the SRL to work with students enrolled in the course.
The faculty member will provide useful feedback to the SRL to improve effectiveness in guiding critical reflection and assisting students in their service.