The Community Engaged Scholar honor is one of five academic recognitions available to graduating students at UNC Asheville. It provides the opportunity for students to become deeply involved in service-learning in Asheville and Western North Carolina – and receive recognition for their efforts.
Applications are due Tuesday Sept 12, 2019. Please note: check the “send me a copy of my responses” box and save your confirmation email. You will need this information to edit your application after it has been reviewed.
- Complete six or more academic credit hours in service-learning designated courses (usually two courses). They are indicated by an SL notation beside the course listed on the Registrar’s website. You must earn a grade of B- or above in each course.
- Complete a Community Engaged Scholar Workshop (in person with quiz, dates listed below)
- Complete a Community Engaged Project (CEP) with a local non-profit agency that directly responds to a need identified by that agency. Need ideas for topics? Read past papers to get an idea of potential projects (see Journal of Undergraduate Public Service Projects content below).
- Complete a 5-page paper (single-spaced) that outlines the CEP, including the learning that came from it.
- Present the CEP at a Celebration of Community Engaged Learning (scheduled at the end of each fall and spring semester).
*This is not intended to be completed in one semester. Approval to do so, because of special circumstances, may be requested.
2019 Community Engaged Scholar Workshops
Fall 2019 Workshops, choose one session:
- Mon Aug 26, 7 – 8 p.m., HIG 223
- Tues Sept 3, Noon – 1 p.m., HIG 223
- Wed Sept 4, 7 – 8 p.m., HIG 223
- Applications are due Tuesday Sept 12, 2019.
- Paper due (First draft): Tuesday November 5, 2019. The paper will be reviewed and returned for revisions. Email to email@example.com
- Revised Paper due (Final): Tuesday November 19, 2019.
- Completion Form with signatures due: Tuesday November 19, 2019. Submit scanned copy with signatures to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off original with signatures to Key Center.
Celebration of Community Engaged Learning Poster Presentation will be held during the Undergrad Research Symposium on Tuesday November 26, 2019.